*I've been very busy with my kids and preparing my family's tourist visa requirements that I barely had time to update my blog. Anyway, please be informed that F2-1 visa is no longer recognized as the SPOUSE Visa because the Korean Immigration Service is now issuing the NEW F6-1 Visa as the new SPOUSE VISA. Although F2-1 visa and F6-1 visa are both termed as SPOUSE VISA for foreigners married to Koreans, F6-1 is considered friendlier to marriage immigrants. Why?
- F6-1 visa can no longer be cancelled by the sponsoring Korean spouse prior to the visa's expiration date. In some cases of abuse of foreigners married to Koreans, the marriage immigrant endures all the abuse just to stay LEGALLY in Korea because the former F2-1 visa was very dependent on the Korean spouse's sponsorship. The introduction of the new F6-1 visa protects the marriage immigrant from more abuse/threat due to fear of being deported out of Korea any time their Korean half felt like doing so.
- The F6-1 visa ALSO allows the foreign spouse to stay in Korea LEGALLY even if the marital life was cut short due to sudden death/disappearance of the Korean spouse.
(for other FOREIGNERS)
Required documents for apply for F61 visa:
1. Certificate of marriage relationship from Korea which was issued within 6 months (혼인관계증명서) - original
2. Marriage certificate from foreign spouse’s national government – original and copy
3. Korean spouse’s job certificate (재직증명서) - original
4. Korean spouse’s Korean passport copy and Korean ID copy
5. Documents that prove the financial capability of the latest 3 months in Korea. (재정입증 관련서류). For example, the bank account book or bank statements in Korea.
6. The proof of residing place in Korea, such as 등기부등본 or 아파트 월세 계약서
7. Invitation letter from Korean spouse (초청장) – use the standard format provided by consulate
8. Guarantee letter issued by Korean spouse (신원보증서) – use the standard format provided by consulate
9. Applicant’s passport – original and copy
10. Colored passport photo (sized 35 x 45mm) – one piece
11. “Application for Visa” form
a. The F61 visa issued by consulate will be valid for a maximum 90 days as the period of stay.
b. The holder should apply for extension and the “Alien (Foreign) Registration Card” from the local immigration office in Korea.
c. In general, it takes 3 working days to issue the visa; however, it may take longer time to process when it is necessary.
d. Besides the above listed documents, the Consulate General/Embassy may request for more documents when it is necessary.
(for FILIPINO citizens marrying a Korean)
등기부등본 or 아파트 월세 계약서재정입증 관련서류재직증명서, Income Tax Return, etc.)